How bad is coffee really for our gut health? Do we really need to give it up? We’ll look at exactly how coffee contributes to leaky gut, plus how to decide when to quit (and when to try it again).
Last Updated: Mar 17, 2021
- Butt MS, Sultan MT. Coffee and its consumption: benefits and risks. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 2011 Mar 25;51(4):363-73.
- Yamagata K. Do coffee polyphenols have a preventive action on metabolic syndrome associated endothelial dysfunctions? An assessment of the current evidence. Antioxidants. 2018 Feb;7(2):26.
- Gan RY, Zhang D, Wang M, Corke H. Health benefits of bioactive compounds from the genus Ilex, a source of traditional caffeinated beverages. Nutrients. 2018 Nov;10(11):1682.
- Suzuki Y, Miyoshi N, Isemura M. Health-promoting effects of green tea. Proceedings of the Japan Academy, Series B. 2012 Mar 9;88(3):88-101.
- Nishitsuji K, Watanabe S, Xiao J, Nagatomo R, Ogawa H, Tsunematsu T, Umemoto H, Morimoto Y, Akatsu H, Inoue K, Tsuneyama K. Effect of coffee or coffee components on gut microbiome and short-chain fatty acids in a mouse model of metabolic syndrome. Scientific reports. 2018 Nov 1;8(1):1-0.
- Vojdani A, Tarash I. Cross-reaction between gliadin and different food and tissue antigens.
- Rubach M, Lang R, Seebach E, Somoza MM, Hofmann T, Somoza V. Multi‐parametric approach to identify coffee components that regulate mechanisms of gastric acid secretion. Molecular nutrition & food research. 2012 Feb;56(2):325-35.
- Piric M, Pasic F, Rifatbegovic Z, Konjic F. The effects of drinking coffee while recovering from colon and rectal resection surgery. Medical Archives. 2015 Dec;69(6):357.
- Sharif K, Watad A, Bragazzi NL, Adawi M, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y. Coffee and autoimmunity: More than a mere hot beverage!. Autoimmunity reviews. 2017 Jul 1;16(7):712-21.
- Cho HS, Kim S, Lee SY, Park JA, Kim SJ, Chun HS. Protective effect of the green tea component, L-theanine on environmental toxins-induced neuronal cell death. Neurotoxicology. 2008 Jul 1;29(4):656-62.
- Cichello SA, Begg D, Weisinger R. Anxiety behaviour displayed in C57BL/6J mice consuming coffee and cocoa, but not observed in mice consuming Japanese green tea in a high fat diet induced obesity model. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science Journal. 2014 Apr 28;2(1):33-9.